Friday, March 27, 2009

TAKE TEN: Lady K

Her book SEX INSPIRES MY BEST POETRY has raised more than eyebrows with its mixture of sophisticated prose and melodic verses. Now Lady K talks with Crunk Book Club about the writing of the book, the decision to promote it and how she sees the variousdegrees of sex.

Lady K, thank you for talking with Crunk Book Club. Before we get into your gift with words, let's talk a little about you. How would you describe who Lady K is?
Lady K is the alter ego of the day-to-day person that I am. Lady K is bold, seductive, and sassy. She has a lot more confidence than I do because she doesn’t care what she says, what people think, and makes no apologies for any of it. She says what’s on her mind. She’s wild at times!

Do you remember when your love affair with the written and spoken word began?
The written word in general, I would say during elementary school. Around 4th or 5th grade, I think. I wasn’t very expressive and was somewhat shy, so for me, writing was the easiest way for me to express my feelings. I used to write letters. It didn’t matter if anyone saw them or not, it was just therapeutic. Spoken word came much later in life. It’s an extension of that therapy. Being able to express yourself through your words, your face, your body, and use those to connect with other people is something I’m still getting comfortable with. So as of now, we’re not in a love affair yet, but we have a strong crush on each other!

Erotica is something that many see as personal. Has it always been so easy for you to express yourself and things that you think and feel?
Not at all! I’m a very private person. So for me to share such intimate thoughts was definitely not easy because now I feel somewhat exposed. Now, I’ve opened myself up for criticism and other people’s opinion on what type of person they think I am based on some of my work. The funny thing is that in expressing myself, and exposing those thoughts and feelings, it has really made it easier for me to continue to do so. I feel empowered! It’s enabled me to be more confident and to encourage others – women in particular – to feel free to express themselves in the same way.

You made a decision to not only compile a book but begin your own publishing company as well. Tell us about why you formed Forte Publishing.
I formed Forte Publishing because I didn’t want to put my destiny in any else’s hands. Finishing this book became my dream and I felt like I didn’t want to waste time trying to convince someone, or get anyone else to validate me, and control my dream. It was, and still is difficult because ultimately, I have to balance being the author, the publisher, the publicist, and many other hats. But in the end, I’m in control. I make all the decisions, and my success or failure is in my own hands.

When you and I spoke last year we focused on the importance of promoting yourself. Since your book SEX INSPIRES MY BEST POETRY is dealing with erotica, was it difficult for you to make the sell initially?
It does raise some eyebrows at times. But to be honest, in most cases, I haven’t had that hard of a time. The reason, I think is that on a personal level people really can relate when they hear the title of the book. But aside from that, I think that I’ve done a good job of targeting the right market and the right businesses so far. As it grows, it might get a little more difficult, but I’m ready for the challenge!

Spoken word is a powerful avenue that has crossed racial and generational lines. How did you go about putting your book and cd together, and were you surprised by the results?
think what sets this book apart from others like it, is the fact that it speaks to the urban market; the average everyday person, and it links the poetic nature of hip-hop and music, with poetry. When I started putting the book together, I put it together with people like me in mind. I’m from the hip-hop generation, and grew up in the inner-city. I’m 20-something, and college educated with a degree (from Howard University). That being said, the book has an urban edge to it, and the Urban, Erotic Soundtrack that comes with the book accentuates the hip-hop vibe. It’s bold and explicit. But, it’s tasteful, sensual, and thought-provoking as well. So when I started marketing the finished product I was surprised by the people who embraced it the most. A lot of women in their 20’s, 30’s, 40’s AND 50’s have embraced both the book AND the cd. I was definitely surprised by the results in terms of the range of fans that I’ve gained so far.

One of the things that struck me about the book is that it is about more than just the act of sex. It also deals with the emotions that can be associated with sex. Is that something that has opened up dialogue with your readers and lovers of spoken word?
Definitely! The “act” is just a small part of what sex is. I divided the book up into five sections, with the first being Foreplay. That’s where all the feelings and emotions really start to get stirred. Another section, Mind Sex, touches on a few of the more serious subjects like abortion, and virginity. I’ve also included some discussion questions in the back of the book to initiate dialogue with my readers. That’s really important to me because these are things that people should be talking about. Sex is fun! Sex is silly! But on the flip side, sex can be sad, and it’s definitely serious! I think people appreciate how candidly the book touches on certain things, and that’s enough to get the conversation flowing.

What advice would you give to others who are looking to find their voice and share it with the world?
Remember that poetry is art, and art is subjective. Some people will love it. Some people will hate it. But someone will relate to it and that’s what it’s all about when it comes to things like poetry, spoken word, and hip-hop. Be confident in you, and stay true to you and the rest will be easy.

Can you tell me what is next for Lady K and Forte Publishing?
Continuing to promote Sex Inspires My Best Poetry; the next book of poetry, The Group Sex Volume, should be coming soon; a cookbook; and helping other aspiring authors fulfill their dreams through coaching and publishing.

Thank you for time, Lady K. If our readers want to find out more about you where can they find you online?
Thank you! Crunk readers, check out the website www.sexy-poetry.com to read excerpts from the book, and hear samples from the soundtrack. Send me a message on MySpace at www.myspace.com/inspiredbysex.

No comments: